Kids can get restless at Christmas time, and if you have limited time and resources to keep them occupied, baking is always a good alternative. Here is a fun and easy to make recipe for gingerbread men that is child and kitchen friendly!
You will need:
- 350g Plain flour
- 125g Butter
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (to taste)
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 medium sized egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- Icing and cake decorations (to taste)
Preheat the oven to 180C or Gas mark 4 and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper. Now you’re ready to start!
1. Sift together the flour, ginger, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda, then add the butter and blend in a large bowl until the mix looks like breadcrumb.
2. Stir in the sugar or mix it in with your hands by grabbing big handfuls of it and squishing it between your fingers (the kids’ll love that bit)
3. Beat the egg and the golden syrup together, and then add it to the mixture, stirring it until everything is mixed together.
4. Grab the dough and knead it on a floured surface until it is smooth and then wrap it up in cling film and put in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
5. Roll the dough out on a floured surface until it is about half a centimetre thick. Then use cookie cutters, whichever type you like, to make fantastic shapes, taking care not to rip the dough. Place them on a baking tray evenly spread apart, about an inch will do.
6. Bake until lightly golden, which takes around 15 minutes. Leave to cool and then decorate. You might want to match your gingerbread decor to your kitchen decor so for a classic kitchen plump for all the traditional stylings and if you’ve got a more contemporary looking kitchen why not give your gingerbread men some shades (black icing sugar), shiny buttons (silver dragées) and a marzipan baseball cap!
Let us know how you got on in the comments below or if you like us on Facebook you can post the snaps of your results!