Watermelon – the taste of summer!

Jul
05
Author: Kerri
Tags

smoothie-840638_1280Is summer really here? Maybe it’s best not to dwell on it too much and just enjoy the taste of summer while we can. And when it comes to food, there’s nothing quite like a juicy slice of watermelon on a hot sunny day!

Watermelons consist mainly of water (92%) – hence the name. The other 8% are a nutrient dense mixture of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants for a surprisingly low number of calories – 30 calories per 100g slice to be exact. A normal sized wedge serving will contain around 90 calories.

Watermelons are now in season and widely available. Forget about elaborate food preparation in your kitchen for the day and head outside. How about these 3 super simple summer recipe ideas to try on a picnic or BBQ?

Watermelon Sticks

This isn’t so much a recipe as a fun serving suggestion – perfect as an accompaniment for BBQs and summer dining.

Cut a watermelon into inch thick wedges, then cut each slice into 3 segments. Insert a toothpick or wooden ice lolly stick into the rind of each piece and arrange on a pretty serving plate.

Serve with treats for dipping, dunking and sprinkling to explore different flavor combinations, so that no two pieces taste the same: fresh lime juice, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, Greek yogurt, honey, sweet chilli sauce, mint sauce, honey, tequila.…

Strawberry & Watermelon Smoothie

To serve 2 people, you will need a handful of strawberries (hulled), a large wedge of watermelon (cut into chunks, no rind), juice form ½ lime, 250ml iced water and some mint leaves.

Whizz everything together in a blender and chill in the fridge until ready to serve. Pour over ice into a tumbler and add a mint leaf and a slice of lime for decoration. A shot of vodka or white rum turns it into cool summer cocktail. Cheers!

Thai Watermelon Salad

For this delicious summer salad, courtesy of Jamie Oliver, you will need:

1/4  watermelon (cubed, rind removed)
1 small bunch of radishes, finely sliced
2 handfuls of fresh mint leaves
2 handfuls of fresh coriander leaves
2 handfuls of rocket
A handful of sunflower seeds
100g feta cheese

For the salad dressing, mix 6 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp of sesame oil, 1 tbsp of soy sauce and the juice of 3 limes. Add 2 chillis (deseeded and finely chopped) and a 1cm piece of grated ginger, then season well with salt and pepper.

Combine the watermelon, radishes and leaves in a big salad bowl and add the dressing. Serve with sprinkled sunflower seeds and crumbled feta cheese on top.

Please recommend us if you found this post useful:

Our Kitchens

Classic Kitchens
Contemporary Kitchens
In Frame Kitchens
Shaker Kitchens

 

Categories