Cleaning your gas hob shouldn’t be a huge job as long as you keep on top of it on a regular basis. The important thing for all kitchen care and maintenance regimes is to use the right products and the right techniques to get the best results in the minimum of time.
Hob cleaning is sure to be no-one’s favourite kitchen job but it’s got to be done. A clean hob makes your kitchen more hygienic by keeping germs at bay, but it also helps to reduce the risk of fire by keeping the area around the gas burners immaculately clean.
What’s more, a clean gas hob ensures an even heat distribution which elongates the lifespan of your pots and pans. Finally, odours from old or burnt on food can find their way into new dishes – and you really don’t want that to happen.
Luckily, keeping your gas hob clean is not rocket science. Here’s how to tackle the task quickly and easily:
1. With the hob switched off and cold, remove all the gas rings from the cooker top. They should lift straight off, if not, check the manufacturer’s instruction for guidance on how to remove them safely.
2. Soak the gas rings in a bowl of warm soapy water, then use a sponge to thoroughly wash every ring, perhaps using an old toothbrush to get into any fiddly nooks and crannies. Rinse with cold water and allow to dry completely before putting them back in position.
3. Next, turn your attention to the gas hob itself. Using a dry or moistened cloth, remove as much loose food debris and dirt from the surface and particularly around each of the gas burners.
4. Apply a hob cleaning detergent – you want to use a suitable cleaning agent that is specifically designed to be tough on grease, grime and dried on stains. This degreaser is particularly recommended by leading appliance manufacturers including Bosch, Siemens and Neff.
5. A spray applicator is best as it allows you to control how much product is applied and won’t oversaturate the gas burners. Oversaturation can be a problem since it may make lighting the burners very difficult afterwards.
6. Leave the cleaning agent to sit on the hob for a few minutes to work on any grease and stains so that they are easy to wipe off. Using a clean cloth, give the hob a good wipe until all food residue has been removed and your hob looks sparkling clean.